1. KLIA received the Gold Award for the Advertising Award by Air Transport World (ATW) magazine. The award was based on the Integrated for Ease advertising campaign, which was created for the marketing of KLIA.
2. KLIA was ranked 5th in the Airport of the Year 2004 survey organised by Skytrax Research, a British based air travel industry research company.
3. KLIA was 3rd for the Best Airport Worldwide in a survey by AETRA, a customer satisfaction benchmarking programme. The service element on "Overall Satisfaction with the Airport-All Passenger" consolidates all 27 service elements to decide on the best performing airport. Previously, the survey was known as IATA Global Airport Monitor.
4. KLIA received the Aerodrome Certification from the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA). It is a new mandatory requirement by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) which requires all international airports open for public use to provide uniform safety conditions for all aircraft.
5. KLIA is the first airport in the Asia Pacific Region and the first Travel and Tourism organisation in Malaysia to be Green Globe 21 certified, which requires the commitment to continual identification, control and improvement of the environmental and social impacts of the airport's operations.
6. In the 5th ASEAN Energy Award, KLIA was first runner-up for the ASEAN Energy Efficiency and Conservation (EE&C) Best Practices Competition for Energy Efficient Buildings (New and Existing Buildings).
7. KLIA received the Creativity and Innovation Award 2004 organised by Malaysia Design Creativity Innovation (MDTC).
8. KLIA is third in the Favourite Asian Airport category for the TIME Readers' Choice Awards survey.
9. KLIA was second in the Best Airport category of the Telegraph Travel Award 2004, the most significant study of the travel tastes and habits of British consumers, based on the annual poll of selected readers of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph.