1. KLIA won the 3rd best airport in Asia, after Singapore and Hong Kong, based on the 16th Asian Freight Industry Awards 2002 (AFIA), organised by Cargonews Asia publication.
2. KLIA won the 3rd position for the Best Airport category in the Telegraph Travel Awards. Telegraph Travel Awards is an annual poll specially for the readers of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph in Britain.
3. KLIA was voted 2nd by airlines around the world as the Highly Commended Airport for Marketing Efforts in the 10-15 million passengers airport category during the Routes Conference held from 23-24 September 2002 in Athens, Greece.
4. KLIA was selected 3rd in the Favourite Airport Category for the 2nd annual TIME Readers' Travel Choice Awards survey.
5. KLIA was among the top ten airports in the 2002 Airport of the Year survey organised by Skytrax Research, a British based air travel industry research company.
6. KLIA was in the top five for the World's Best Airports category in the Business Traveller magazine "Asia Pacific Readers" Poll 2002'.